[CLUE-Talk] Linux Advocacy: A Reformation

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Sep 28 15:23:07 MDT 2002

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> Following is a message I posted to the IT Samaritans mailing list. So I've
> done it now, haven't I? ;-)

Could you summarize your reasons for doing this outside IT Samaritans?
   Since I missed the meeting I'm curious what the considerations were.

> This puts me in the position of having things I'd like to do WRT Linux and
> Free/Open Software, without having any infrastructure in place. The
> obvious things like starting a mailing list, and maybe having a website
> come to mind.
>
> The question this brings up is whether this advocacy project could
> reasonably be a part of CLUE. If not, that's fine, it's just a possibility
> which has occured to me. For me, one of the advantages which comes to mind
> is that CLUE has a web/mail server. Maybe it doesn't need any more
> activity on it. I'm just thinking out loud.

Technically there should be no problems.  Organizationally there are
many issues.  I would suggest keeping things as separate as possible for
now.  If the consensus (and the need) is that CLUE should provide
services for this project, I would recommend being formal about
it--which means adding some formality to CLUE first (which shouldn't be
a problem, just that it is some work).

> The other big question would be whether the CLUEbies who have already
> responded positively to the idea are still interested, given that it is no
> longer a part of IT Samaritans.

I am still interested.  I would have liked to see the differences
between free and proprietary projects within the same organization but
I'm more interested in working on free projects.  Since IT Samaritans
already has some management experience and (presumably) skilled people,
it will be interesting to see what you can offer to compete.

Have you thought about the skills and commitment you need to make this
work?  Are you making an effort to fill the gaps in what you can provide?

Dave