[CLUE-Talk] Oh No! Not Again! (spam spam spam spam ...)

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Wed Apr 16 05:13:58 MDT 2003

At 10:17 PM 4/15/2003 -0600, David Willson wrote:

>Just so you know, I have now gotten more spam-bitching than spam.  Is it
>ever possible for the cure to be worse than the disease?

The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

>It took me one
>second to delete IBM's email (which I couldn't have gotten from the
>sign-up sheet, because I didn't sign it, IIRC),

However, by the time you deleted it, your ISP already paid for the cost of
the storage on the server, you took the time to download, etc.  If 1/10th
of 1% of every business in the world sent you one spam a month, you'd be
spending 1 second deleting each spam and never have time to do anything else.

>and it's taken me five
>minutes or more to delete all the bitching, and try to figure out what
>exactly the Big Deal was...  Maybe we could try not to ~quite~ so
>sensitive about this...?

The big deal is that spammers are thieving scum who are trying to steal a
communications medium and make it worthless for useful two way
communications.  They steal resources.  They forge addresses to hide their
point of origination because they don't want to be shut down or deal with
the bounces, letting other ISPs deal with the bounces.  They route their
traffic through open relays and open proxies, tying up someone else's
resources instead of their own.  Most of them are criminals, trying to con
you out of money, ship porn to your children, and load your machine with
trojans, viruses, and expensive dialers, and engage in DOS attacks.

The problem is not being too sensitive - it isn't being sensitive
enough.  If every person reported every spam they received, and if every
honest ISP terminated their spammers on sight, and used the dnsbl's to
block the ISPs who weren't honest, the problem would go away.  I report all
spam, and my ISP uses fiveten and spamcop to block spam, among others.  I
then use procmail to block spam havens like verio, argentina, and brazil
that my ISP doesn't block.  However, every spam that doesn't get reported
before the spammer's point of origin makes it onto spamcop is one I have to
deal with.

Don't want to take the time to figure out the headers on your own?  Sign up
for a free reporting account at http://spamcop.net

With that, I'm down to about 3 or 4 spams per day on average.