[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 22 21:31:30 MDT 2003

Chris Terry wrote:

> *mega-snip*
>
> Sean LeBlanc wrote...
>
>> I cannot help but think that no matter what a Republican president
>> does, it
>> will be lambasted by some members of the left...take, for example, folks
>> that think this economy is somehow the fault of the Bush
>> administration -
>> they complain that they brought us the "Bush economy" (in the face of
>> all
>> evidence to the contrary - for example, anyone paying attention knows
>> that
>> the stock market started a slide in early 2000) and THEN turn around and
>> whine* about proposed boosts to the economy like tax cuts.
>

> Good point on the first one.  I'd have to agree that if a Republican
> is in office, those on the left will bash him, but you forgot to add
> the part about guys on the right beating up Democratic presidents.
> There's always going to be someone complaining about those in power.
> I don't really mind it, except from people who don't vote or otherwise
> participate.  Voters are at least trying to fix things they see wrong.
>

> And the economics:
> Yes, the slide started with Clinton, but I haven't seen it pick up
> enough to be able to praise Bush with fixing the problem.  And that
> brings up another good point.  I'm not the most informed on economic
> history, so could you point me to an instance where tax cuts and other
> generally republican economic plans have fixed (or at least started to
> reverse) a downturn/depression like this one?

I think I remember Clinton taking credit for the economic surge that
happened at the beginning of his administration.

Even if Bush can help the economy, it would take at least a year for the
economy to really notice because it is so big.  And politicians want
quick solutions, especially when an election is looming.

Actually, I'm amazed that the economy stayed strong as long as it did.
 I suspect the flood of retirement funds into the stock market masked
real economic performance.  And provided an easy source of bonuses for
many top-level executives.