[CLUE-Talk] Copyright of SCO source code

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Jul 22 05:26:54 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 23:29, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> You're right. I had forgotten that it's not necessary to register
> anymore.  In that case, why did SCO make such noise about registering
> its source code?

More misinformation for the rubes, probably... or perhaps it will be
easier for them to sue if they have official registration. Who knows?

> A friend of mine says that binary code should not be protected by
> copyright because it is not readable.  In his opinion, binary code
> should be regarded more like a trade secret unless the source code is
> also provided.  It's an interesting viewpoint.

I would agree with that. Copyright protection was designed to protect
works that were easy to copy because anyone could get their hands on
them.

I'd like to see the verification that what SCO gave to the Copyright
Office is actually System V code with no modifications.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net