[CLUE-Talk] Author, Consumer, and Computer Owner Protection and Security (ACCOPS) Act of 2003

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Jul 27 11:10:51 MDT 2003

* Jed S. Baer (thag at frii.com) wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:52:57 -0600
> Dennis J Perkins <djperkins at americanisp.net> wrote:
>
> > So this bill, if enacted, will criminalize about 1/5 of our population?
>
> Well, if they're providingng/downloading unlicensed/payed-for copies of
> copyrighted material, then they're already criminals, no?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the RIAA/MPAA dying a quick and painful
> death. But does this bill target, in any way, people who are providing
> either works in the public domain or works to which they hold the rights?

I read a post from a lawyer a while ago.  It was his legal arument that
*downloading* copyrighted material is not a crime.  It is the uploading
that is the crime (the name says it all, the author has copy right).  So
unless they argue that downloding is a copy, the only crime is in
offering the music, that has been illegaly copied.

Tim