[CLUE-Talk] Author, Consumer, and Computer Owner Protection and Security (ACCOPS) Act of 2003

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Mon Jul 28 20:16:01 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 19:51, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2003 19:19, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
>
> > Have it repealed... As far as I'm concerned, our drug laws are just as
> > stupid and unpopular as the DMCA or the proposed ACCOPS -- and look how
> > many people are doing time now for possession of "forbidden" substances.
> > Just breaking the law isn't going to work -- it will just lead to a lot
> > of people going to jail.
>
> I guess I'm looking at the problem from a personal perspective.  I think
> that's the point of civil disobedience.  Sure, you can go to jail, but you're
> protesting an unjust law.

I've always thought the point of civil disobedience was simply to have a
non-violent means of protesting. I've never really thought of "civil
disobedience" as being strictly personal, since it's often used by
groups of people to protest something.

> Simply 'having it repealed' is way easier said
> than done.

No argument there... but it isn't impossible.

> Perhaps at the state level, you can personally get a referendum
> going but at the federal level?

At the federal level we're dependent on our congresscritters to Do The
Right Thing... which usually only happens when sufficient public
pressure is applied.

I suppose you could choose to download stuff until you're arrested and
put in jail as some sort of protest, but I doubt it would be any more
effective and would probably just result in huge legal bills, a criminal
conviction, huge fines and a few years behind bars.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net