[CLUE-Talk] Hatch Takes Aim at Illegal Downloading

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Thu Jun 19 19:33:21 MDT 2003

On 06-19 10:35, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2003 10:38 am, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > What really burns me is that the music industry absolutely refuses to
> > address the real problem -- CDs are priced far too damn high for what
> > they are.
>
> One reason I like the .99 / song Apple implementation of digital music.
> Hopefully, it will catch on.  I would personally spend a lot more money if I
> were able to download the songs I want from an artist w/o additional 'filler'
> that you get with CDs.

I didn't do the groundwork and look myself, but someone told me that Apple
pays similar ratios to artists as what the labels do. While I'm glad Apple
is out there reinvigorating this market, I wonder if the best way to get
traction is to give a greater ratio to the artists than what the service
collects. After all, they are just middle men. Maybe Apple sweetens the deal
in other ways, however.

As for all this flailing from RIAA and Congress and the like, I think what
we're seeing is the attempts to protect what is essentially a buggy whip -
that is, the current delivery system for music. Record companies are
refusing to evolve, and instead of dying, they'd rather exploit Congress,
continue to price-fix CDs, practice what amounts to payola, and further
muddy the legal waters in the process....

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
America is the country where you buy a lifetime supply of aspirin for one
dollar, and use it up in two weeks.
(contributed by Chris Johnston)