[CLUE-Talk] Need Qwest DSL 'modem'

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Nov 6 22:16:59 MST 2003

* Evan Widger (PsychoI3oy at linkline.com) wrote:
> does anyone know what technology qwest uses for dsl? a friend of mine
> recommened efficient speedstream modems (made by siemens) as an inexpensive
> but reliable modem. i've found several on ebay in the $10-20 range, but need
> to make sure they're compatable. the friend that has a speedstream is on
> g.lite ADSL, but said the 52xx series supports DMT, too. I'm in aurora near
> I-225 and Mississippi if that tells anyone what region of service i'll be
> in.
>
> just for reference i will be using techangle as my ISP, probably only going
> with 256/256 service for now cause it'll be that much better than dialup but
> still cost not too much.
>
> and i already looked on qwest's website, which doesn't say anything, and
> from what i've read the cisco 678 does just about any type of dsl, so that
> didn't narrow it down.

When I worked there a couple of years ago, their was a big hullabaloo
about the switch from CAP to DMT.

When I bought this Zoom modem, it advertised the ability to speak G.DMT,
G.Lite, and ANSI T1.413.  I had heard about the G.Lite at Qwest, but it
was, I think, only deployed for DSL Select (modem-pooling type stuff, if
I remember correctly), and perhaps some of the remote DSLAM stuff
(DSLAM, the what your modem talks to at Qwest.  The remote one is out in
the field somewhere, in a fiber cabinet, rather than in the Qwest CO).

So I assumed that I would be used G.DMT, or G.Lite.  But I was wrong.  I
actually tried all three protocols individually, and the only one which
would train up is T1.413.  Go figure.

I actually had to do several hour of guess work with this modem.

I am using:

ADSL Setup (I think these are all dependent upon the Qwest DSL line)
-----
Handshake Protocol: T1.413
Trellis:	Enabled
Wiring Selection: Tip/Ring
Bit Swapping: Disabled

WAN Setup
-------
VPI:	0
VCI:	32 (These two seem to be Qwest specific, and are what tripped me
				up)
Encapsulation:	PPPoA VC-Mux (this depends on you ISP)

I think those are the major variables.  I am not sure what they all mean
(I have no idea what trellis is).  But this setup works for me.  I think
all except the Encapsulation are specific to Qwest, not the ISP.  But I
am just winging it there.

I also use Forethought.net as my ISP, and they were very good about
working with me to get the modem to work.  That certainly helped.  Had
this been MSN as my ISP, forget it.

Give one of the Speedstreams a try -- if you can find that you are able
to set the above options.  The one to really check for, I think, would
be the handshake protocol.  I believe that is what killed the Cisco 675
-- in only spoke one, and Qwest moved on to a different one.

HTH,

Tim