[CLUE-Talk] Rep Tancredo's Anti-Immigration Stance

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Fri Oct 24 12:37:55 MDT 2003

> On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 09:06, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> > >
> > > I've always thought that the "average American" attitude was pretty damn
> > > hypocritical -- basically, "It's the greatest country in the world. It
> > > was founded and built by immigrants. We're here now. Screw everybody
> > > else."
> >
> > Hmm.  Average American.  Doesn't quite fit the typical Congressman or
> > president, does it?  Or certain CEOs like Bill Gates and Michael Eisner.
>
> Probably not. I was just echoing Sean's term... I've talked to a lot of
> people who have the "keep 'em out" attitude, but they seem fine with the
> fact that their ancestors were immigrants...

I know some people who have that attitude, and their parents or grandparents
were immigrants.  Personally, I'm fascinated by people from other countries.

My family came to America in the 1640s.  I guess we should have been
complaining for a long time now. :)

> > How about illegal alien worker?  What the hell is legally challenged,
anyway?
> > That term could probably cover most Americans.
>
> Just trying to be funny... I was trying to think of a bunch of other
> Politik-speak euphemisms for "illegal alien" but my brain isn't up to it
> at this early hour.

I know.  I hadn't heard legally challenged before and was amused by
it.