[CLUE-Talk] Another Bush Lie v2.0

zak zak at hitchhikersboard.com
Fri Oct 31 21:08:05 MST 2003

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> [SNIP]
>
>Two words for you: John Ashcroft.
>
>If you think the Bush administration is capable of generating unbiased
>information for him to base decisions off of, remember that one of his
>appointees is Ashcroft, a man who believes that morality can be
>legislated.

Isn't any law at all an attempt to force morality through govenrmental
enforcement?  Or, are you using the word morality in a different sense?
In the sense that anything that is legislated against something you feel
is correct is an attempt to legislate morality?  (Not to pick a fight,
but, I've only ever heard this argument from this standpoint.)  Or, is
the concern here the "victimless" crimes?  Or are there any?

>This is also an administration that refuses to release information
>about their decision-making process for their energy policy. Cheney has
>been fighting the release of any information -- even the names of
>people consulted -- from their "energy policy taskforce."
>
>I also find it disturbing to see that the so-called "leader of the free
>world" simply displays no interest in gathering information on his own.
>

>There's no doubt that anyone holding the office of President would be
>unable to gather all of the necessary information alone -- but to
>completely abdicate the task altogether is disturbing.

Is there an example of a president not doing this?  Not one that I've seen.

>Whether you agree with the Bush administration's agenda or not, I don't
>see how you can honestly believe or assert that Bush is getting
>unbiased information from his advisors and cabinet.

As evidenced by an earlier e-mail, anyone on the president's cabinet has
to keep in mind a desire to keep their jobs.  So, based on this
understanding, it would be impossible for any president to be able to
trust, completely, what their cabinet says.  So, they would have to go
to outside sources for information and, understanding their work load,
they would have to outsource this information collection to another
cabinet - thereby creating the same problem.  So, either they have to
trust their staff or shirk their other responsibilities and go into
information analysis.  Therefore, the pres would seem to be left with a
single option.