[clue-talk] The War On...?

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 14:12:47 MST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:56:50 -0700, Don Collier
<dcollier at collierclan.com> wrote:
>  In my opinion, every American has a duty to obey the law now matter how
> unjust that we feel it is.  There are ways to make your voice heard other
> than breaking the law.  We cant pick and choose which laws that we wish to
> obey.

What if a law passed by Congress or state legislature contradicts with
the Constitution? Or with a person's religion?

I heartily disagree with this -- people have a duty to do the "right
thing," and if that conflicts with the law, so be it. (Obviously,
people will disagree on what the "right thing" is...)

For example -- sections of the Patriot Act that give the government
additional powers to spy on library patrons. I won't hold it against a
librarian who follows the law, but I think it's a far better thing for
a librarian to refuse to comply with the law in protest.

We'd be in a sorry (sorrier?) state if Americans had always decided to
"obey the law, no matter how unjust" -- come to think of it, we'd
probably still be English subjects if that were the case.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
xonker at gmail.com
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy
to state I finally won out over it." ~ Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"