[clue-talk] The War On...?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Dec 29 17:21:47 MST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:57:42 -0600
Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

> > When you find those documents I would be interested in reading them.
>
> Read a history book, then. The American Revolutionary war started as
> Civil Disobedience. Thomas Jefferson and others have wrote on the
> subject of Civil Disobedience as being not only a right, but a duty.
> Without it we would have not had, as previously mentioned, the American
> War for Independence, the Civil Rights Movement, or anything else that
> has mattered in our country. To just accept and give into every law,
> especially unjust ones, and not question our politicians and make them
> accountable (through voting your conscience, not for the "lesser" of
> evils), not take to court our government in defense of our Liberty,
> makes us a slave to the State just a little bit more each time,  and
> when we are all fully Slaves, no man shall be Free again.

If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without
bloodshed, if you will not fight when victory will be sure and not so
costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all
the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may
be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory,
because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
 -- Sir Winston Churchill

It's easy to find such in the writings of Jefferson. What I have in my
head, and will have to dig up, is from the U.S. Supreme Court, IIRC.
Unless I get lucky, it might take a while.

But as long as we're on the subject, I would be remiss if I didn't mention
Frederic Bastiat. http://www.constitution.org/law/bastiat.htm or
http://bastiat.org/

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E