[clue-talk] The War On...?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Dec 30 14:53:20 MST 2004

On 12-30 14:15, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:48:40 -0700
> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > Wow. The above is extremely hard to read. Is your reader stripping out
> > the standard >'s as well as the attributions or something? I only ask
> > because in Mutt I have to read and re-read to see who is saying what.
> > The top-posting doesn't help, but that's nothing compared to having
> > everything else crammed together with no indentation, no >'s, and no
> > attribution.
>
> Came through fine on my end (as far as quotation leaders, that is). Have
> you looked at the raw mail source on your end?
>
> Oooh, just did that myself. That came though as the execrable "send as
> both text and HTML" format. I bet your MUA is looking at the HTML variant,
> and reformating it ugly (as if HTML formatted mail isn't ugly enough
> already), or just striping the tags and displaying it. Oh how nice it is
> to be using Sylpheed!

Ah, thanks Jed. Putting

alternative_order text/enriched text/plain text application/postscript
image/*

into .muttrc helped Mutt do the "right thing". Yep, I have Mutt set up to
use Lynx to dump out text/html, and it didn't look so hot...in fact, without
remembering who said what, it was nearly unreadable as far as following the
thread went. I have not noticed postings looking like that before.

I guess the HTML version removes the >'s in favor of some way of indenting
or color change?

I used to use Sylpheed, and later, Sylpheed claws, but it's hard to read mail
with a GUI over ssh (w/o port forwarding), you know? ;)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
I swear, if you existed I'd divorce you.
-Edward Albee
(contributed by Chris Johnston)