[CLUE-Talk] Tolkien and allegory

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Mon Jan 12 17:08:19 MST 2004

> On Monday 12 January 2004 6:53 am, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> > I see no need to return to the trivium and quadrivium.  They were for a
> > simpler time.
>
> You are incorrect on this notion -- grammar, logic, and rhetoric are still
> fundamental to becoming educated.  How can I learn to read and write w/o
> grammar?  How can I learn mathematics (esp higher math) w/o logic?  How can I
> express myself coherently in writing and speech w/o rhetoric?

I'm not advocating abandoning grammar, etc.  We need to keep that.  It's just
not enough.  The trivium and quadrivium came from the late medieval period.  It
is missing science and technology.  And history.

> > I would like to see them teach advanced subjects earlier.
>
> How would you propose something like this without first teaching logic?
>
> > Not all students are capable of algebra or calculus, but teach it to those
> > who can learn it.
>
> I'll be sure to withhold my vote for you for school board -- pigenholing
> doesn't seem to accomplish much, does it?
>
> There are numerous examples where 'underprivileged' high schoolers are taught
> algebra and calculus so much that they pass the AP Calc exams.

I'm not talking about underprivileged.  Maybe it's not politically correct, but
like it or not, people are not identical.  Most people are average.  Some are
above average.  Unfortunately, there are also some who are below average.
Education should handle all three groups, not ignore the other groups.