[CLUE-Talk] AmericanISP

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Fri Jan 16 13:39:38 MST 2004

At 01:39 PM 1/16/2004 +0000, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

>How many people on this list use AmericanISP?  How soon did you notice
>problems
>getting email?  I couldn't get mine since about 6:30AM on Tuesday, but my
>sister could still get hers until sometime Wednesday.  I could still send
>email
>for a time, but eventually that stopped too.
>
>The ISP wouldn't answer the phone, or respond to voice and email messages.
>They finally responded last night with the claim that they have  been hit
>by an
>email DOS attack, and that their staff was overwhelmed.  They could have
>posted
>a message on their web page, which has remained accessible throughout.
>
>If this was a DOS attack, why could I send email for a while?  Why could my
>sister get email when I could not?

A customer domain on cbeyond.net is reporting problems today. I am
attempting to isolate.  Is AmericanISP downstream of Qwest?

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
Lamport's Law:
A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer
you didn't even know existed can render your own computer unusable.