[CLUE-Talk] FW: Hacker story for Denver Post

Jay Seven j7s12b at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 21:30:28 MDT 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 13:03, Patty Laushman wrote:

> The reality is that hacker is a loaded word that captures people's
> attention, and the tie-in to a Linux article is that most people who
> consider themselves "hackers" use Linux themselves for a variety of
> reasons. The "hacker" or "reformed hacker" subject will be the interesting
> personality with an interesting story that hooks people into reading a
> story about Linux.  The point is not to propagate a stereotype -- it's to
> educate them on Linux.

This sounds fine, and I would have to agree that it is hard to get non-geeks
to read stories written _For_ geeks without that "hook" but goodness sakes,
couldn't the hook be something non-criminal? Why continue to associate Linux
with negative stereotypes? Surely someone who writes for a living can dig up
a Linux user doing something positive for society (there's gotta be at least
one out there, right? ;)

Maybe a kid using Linux to send instant messages to people in old-folks homes
or a third grader who used the Gimp on Mandrake 10 to make a poster to help
find her lost dog and ended up forming a national lost dog web site that
reunited millions of pets with their family's . Why does it always have to be
evil misfits that lead into every piece about a computer operating system?

I feel the reporters pain, but a lack of creativity or unwillingness to work
for a good story is no reason to write yet another "Linux users are dangerous
hacker boogie-men/women" story. Its been done to death.

> I have met with Ross and deem him to be an intelligent, open minded,
> responsible person who is interested in the world of Linux. Yes, there are
> examples of irresponsible journalism out there, just as irresponsibility
> exists in every other human-controlled institution. There has been a great
> deal of misinformation in the media about both open source and "hackers,"
> and I think Ross' story gives our community an opportunity to clear some of
> that up.  I don't believe there is any ill intent here, or I would not be
> willing to put my reputation on the line.

It's not a question of intent. If the average Joe Blow hears the term Hacker
used in every story he ever heard about Linux in main stream media,
then thats what Linux users are to good ol' Mr. Blow. If reporter guy wants
to do Linux a favor, he should find a different hook, a positive angle.