[CLUE-Talk] FW: Hacker story for Denver Post

Patty Laushman patty at theuptimegroup.com
Mon Oct 25 11:08:51 MDT 2004

> This sounds fine, and I would have to agree that it is hard to get
> non-geeks
> to read stories written _For_ geeks without that "hook" but goodness
> sakes,
> couldn't the hook be something non-criminal? Why continue to associate
> Linux
> with negative stereotypes? Surely someone who writes for a living can dig
> up
> a Linux user doing something positive for society (there's gotta be at
> least
> one out there, right? ;)

Jay, you make a very good point about the media associating Linux with
criminals -- I certainly don't want that to happen either.  Ross would
ideally like to find someone who USED to do things that would be considered
"hacking," but now uses his/her talents for a positive purpose.  Somehow
that point got lost in the translation.

The story would not just be about a hacker.  This would be a feature story,
which would give him the space to tie in other angles like how the
government and banking industry are using Linux for the most security
sensitive computers.  Security appliances frequently run Linux.  Network
security service providers frequently use Linux.  This community would be
welcome to chime in on where they see Linux doing good things, as long as
there is a business angle.

Patty Laushman
President
(303) 757-4611, Ext. 404