[clue-talk] New PIM for Linux found...

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 13:37:26 MST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 1:00 PM, Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:
>   * Similarly, their Web site offers a lot of choices without giving any
>     hint as to the significance of those choices. TreePad X Enterprise
>     8 Gb vs. TreePad X Enterprise 256 Gb? WTF does that mean, and why
>     should I care?

This seems to be a common affliction with software companies/projects
(OSS projects suffer from lousy descriptions of their software as
well).

Most software companies suck at just telling the user:

What does it do?
Why would I want to use it?
Why is it better than the competetion (assuming it exists)?
What are the requirements (I've seen many pages that don't even list
OS or RAM requirements)?
Etc.

And, if a company wants to encourage people to buy a product off the
site, they ought to have something that walks the (potential) user
through a few actions with the software, instead of a couple of brief
product descriptions and screenshots that don't show anything about
the actual operation of the software. The Autopackage Team did a good
job on this:

http://autopackage.org/flash-demo-install.html

It's a Flash movie (probably made by vnc2swf) but does a great job of
demonstrating the product.

(If anyone knows of a software company that needs help with this sort
of thing, or with writing documentation in general, let me know...)

Best,

Zonker

--
Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
xonker at gmail.com
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy
to state I finally won out over it." ~ Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"