[clue-talk] Prqctical distribution

Walter Hildebrandt hildy at netbeam.net
Fri Apr 15 23:35:50 MDT 2005

skipworthy wrote:

> Walter Hildebrandt wrote:
>
>> Suse 9.2 is installed on my computer. I have been unable to get help
>> to setup my Internet connection. This is the first thing I tried to
>> do with the computer. Not being able to get help for the Internet
>> setup makes Suse impractical for me. Is there any distribution of
>> Linux that is practical for a new users?
>

> Suse is about as practical and easy as they come, frankly. 9.2
> coorectly detected and configured the ethernet port on all the
> machines I put it on, as well as the pcmcia gadgets I wanted to work
> with my laptop, *and* an mmc adapter. I didn't try the modem setup,
> but YAST looks to me like the place to start for sure, not to mention
> the COPIOUS documentation Suse provides.
>
> just me two cents

I did the following and aborted at the end. Were the choices I made the
correct ones? If what was done is correct, do I choose Yes or No?

    Connect to Netbeam

Chameleon > System > YaST (The “Run as root – KDE su” window appears) >
root1 (The YaST Control Center @ linux” window appears) > Network
services > Mail transfer agent (The computer quickly did some sort of
setup and then the “General Setup” window appeared) > Connection type =
Permanent > outgoing mail server = SMTP.netbeam.net (The “Incomeing
Mail” window appears) > Server = mail.netbeam.net >Protocal = POP3 >
Remote users name = hildy > Password = (actual password) > Local user =
Walter > Clicked Details button, got message “to be able to deliver mail
to your local MTA the value of POSTFIX_LOCALDOMAINS in
/etc/sysconfig/postfix will be set to
“\myhostname.localhost\$mydomain\$mydomain” Asked to choose Yes or No >
Abort