[clue-talk] Mac OS X instead of Linux?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 09:05:42 MDT 2005

On 7/23/05, mikeb <mikeb at wispertel.net> wrote:
> Solaris 10 or Linux... Yes, BSD does not count...

You know OSX is just FreeBSD with some improvements and the slick Mac
GUI, right?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

They seem to be stretching the truth in their favor when they say: "OS
X is winning out over Linux in some cases as well, said Wilcox because
these businesses would already have UNIX expertise on staff; OS X has
a good stable of server applications and it can run traditional UNIX
apps;"

I though FreeBSD was similar to but different from "UNIX" (namely
Solaris, HPUX) in basically the same wasy that Linux is similar to but
different from UNIX. So it seems an unfair statement that FreeBSD just
drops into a UNIX environment while Linux requires training before it
can be dropped in.

Is my understanding wrong?

Other than that, my next personal computer (I currently have a windows
and a linux desktop) will probably be a Mac.  I don't have the
patience to futz with multimedia on my Linux desktop so that's why I
keep the Windows one around.  As I need more multimedia
capabilities...I realize Mac is the place where it works and it's easy
and hey - there's a shell!  Now...I only have to save up my nickels
for a little bit longer to get that Mac hardware.

Greg