[clue-talk] Mac OS X instead of Linux?

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 10:01:17 MDT 2005

> I though FreeBSD was similar to but different from "UNIX" (namely
> Solaris, HPUX) in basically the same wasy that Linux is similar to but
> different from UNIX. So it seems an unfair statement that FreeBSD just
> drops into a UNIX environment while Linux requires training before it
> can be dropped in.

Technically, FreeBSD is actually a Unix, in that it actually derives
from Unix code. HPUX, Solaris, AIX, etc are all derived from Unix, but
they're all different, so it requires some relearning moving from one
*nix to another, no matter which one you start with.

There really isn't a pure UNIX anymore.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
xonker at gmail.com
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy
to state I finally won out over it." ~ Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"