[clue-talk] Mac OS X instead of Linux?

mikeb mikeb at wispertel.net
Sun Jul 24 11:23:20 MDT 2005

>>I though FreeBSD was similar to but different from "UNIX" (namely
>>Solaris, HPUX) in basically the same wasy that Linux is similar to but
>>different from UNIX. So it seems an unfair statement that FreeBSD just
>>drops into a UNIX environment while Linux requires training before it
>>can be dropped in.
>>

>Technically, FreeBSD is actually a Unix, in that it actually derives
>from Unix code. HPUX, Solaris, AIX, etc are all derived from Unix, but
>they're all different, so it requires some relearning moving from one
>*nix to another, no matter which one you start with.
>
>There really isn't a pure UNIX anymore.

Yes, Zonker pointed out Unix branched a long time ago from System
V(AT&T) and
 BSD(Berkeley ) I think if my memmory serves me right.  Dennis Richie
and the Bell Lab Boys in Jersey versus the University of California at
Berkeley(Bill Joy et al...) Also See link about Unix History.
http://www.crackmonkey.org/unix.html

But , back to Mac 10.x it is techically not like Linux in that the
kernel is a microkernel where linux will always be more advance in
performance.  See article in Linux Journal This should put your FUD
Fears to rest at least in the server area :
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6105

-mike