[clue-talk] Nero 6 for Linux FREE!!

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Mar 14 09:19:59 MST 2005

Timothy Klein wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2005, at 12:18 AM, Nate Duehr wrote:
>
>> I think Nero just needed a shot of press/publicity and knew
>> announcing "We have a Linux version" would bring it.  Interesting
>> tactic.
>

> I'm torn on this.  On the one hand, I think it is great that Nero is
> making a Linux version of their software.  Assuming they haven't
> ripped anybody off, that is.
>
> But on the other hand, I have absolutely no need for it, so I won't be
> downloading it.
>
> But I'd be happy if much more companies would follow suit.  Even
> though you can do just about anything you need to with Linux, it isn't
> all there.  I am always reading about really cool gadgets that I want,
> and then realizing I can't really enjoy that good gadget.

The real reason why this is good for Linux is because it encourages
people who are used to Windows to use Linux more.  If they can have
familiar software on Linux, a lot of people would be more likely to use
Linux exclusively and not be so dependant on Windows.  For most people
on this list, it probably doesn't do much.