[clue-talk] RSS/Atom readers?

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Fri Mar 18 17:11:19 MST 2005

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm searching for a decent RSS reader for Linux (natch) and I'm
> soliciting feedback to see what readers CLUEbies prefer. I'm probably
> also going to be writing this up for a Linux Magazine web-only article
> - so all suggestions are appreciated. (Probably a round-up of RSS
> readers with ratings.)
>
> So far, I've tried aKregator, AmphetaDesk (Web-based, but works on
> Linux, so it counts), Firefox and Snownews... so far, I haven't found
> one that really fits, but I'm still looking. Suggestions?

Well, back in the day, I used Straw (http://www.nongnu.org/straw/), but
looking at it, it seems to have died off after maintainer change.  The
other one I used was Liferea (http://liferea.sourceforge.net/), which
seems to be more active.

However, the fact that I use Windows, mainly, at home and Linux at work
(not to mention Windows at libraries, et al), has led me to currently
use uber-webreader, Bloglines (http://www.bloglines.com).  I am a big
supporter of Bloglines as I no longer have to shuttle OPML files back
and forth and keep readers sync'd.  Now, I just use Firefox (+Bloglines
Toolkit, the indicator extension) to keep up.

Plus, I imagine I'm hitting sites a lot less using Bloglines.  I used to
run Straw/Liferea at 10-30 minute intervals.  Now, I get Bloglines every
hour.  This is important because I currently have about 250 feeds on
Bloglines!

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/