[clue-talk] HTML WYSIWYG editor for Linux

bof bof at pcisys.net
Sun Nov 13 07:35:35 MST 2005

Jeff Cann wrote:

>I waffle between manually writing HTML or trying to use an HTML editor.  I ran
>across this little application, which looks capable:
>
>http://www.nvu.com/

Last year, when I tried it, it was a very nice editor for fast composition.

The most serious problem with it was that it did not retain the code as
I laid it out on the page, and insisted on reformatting it, removing
whitespace, and changing some lines to meet what Nvu deemed was good HTML.

There were many complaints about this in the Nvu forums. The reason
given for it was that Nvu came from Mozilla Composer, and this is the
way Composer worked. The problem that could be corrected only if the Nvu
programmers would rewrite the entire Composer program. This was deemed
infeasible.

So I finally gave it up as unusable because I got tired of finding my
code lumped into one big conglomeration with no white space and being
changed where I did not want it.

I currently use a JAVA-based program called Arachnophilia
(http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.html). It's not a bad
editor (so far).

BOF