[clue-talk] Denver ISP

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Thu Sep 8 11:44:57 MDT 2005

Matt Clauson wrote:

> I reccomend Peak to Peak Internet (peakpeak.com) -- they're a small
> locally owned company with quality service, support, and peering.

Hmm. And I know other knowledgeable people who swear by them, so maybe
my experience was just a fluke. Nonetheless, I feel obliged to report
what happened to me.

It was 4 years ago, so I can't recall the exact sequence of events, but
I tried Peak to Peak when I first got DSL. At that time I was working
for a company in Boulder, but telecommuting part of the time. At first I
signed up for a dynamic IP, but it turned out that I should have a
static IP in order to be able to reliably log in to my shell at work. So
I requested a static IP account. Supposedly I was set up with that, but
it didn't work as I had expected.

So I went through the usual ping-pong between Qwest and Peak to Peak
trying to figure out what the problem was. Somewhere toward the end of
this, I became fairly sure that the problem was with Peak to Peak, and I
remember talking to one of their front-line reps trying to determine
exactly what kind of connection I had, and the rep responded with a
bunch of technobabble that I could tell he didn't understand--but as
best I could figure out, the gist was that I had a kind-of-but-not-
really-static IP.

Naturally, I wasn't satisfied with this answer, so I got connected to
their--I think the guy's title was "network engineer." What happened
after that was roughly: he refused to admit that the problem could
possibly be on Peak to Peak's end, and I threatened to take my business
elsewhere. Whereupon I received a long and incredibly arrogant e-mail
from this guy which said, heavily paraphrased, "we're the best game in
town [the actual words were "We are the gods of this stuff"], so be
happy with us and quit complaining about things you don't understand--
loser."

After that, I switched to foreThought.net, and haven't regretted it for
a second.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA