[clue-talk] L

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 11:55:59 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Ooooh, synchronicity!
>
> Anyone familiar with the "Gilb" approach: http://www.gilb.com/

Jed,

Cool links with spot-on analysis.  Requirements gathering is painful for
large projects.  Unfortunately, I am seeing a resurgence toward this
style [vs  XP] as a number of off-shore firms want to offer fixed-bid
contracts so anything missed / assumed / not written down during the
inception and analysis phases gets sent into change control processes -
meaning the contractor has to agree to the change [and eat profit].

One project in particular is going rather well because of the
requirements analysis.  Any use cases not identified are out of the
project per contract.  In one sense, it's liberating because we know
what is supposed to be in the first release.  It's also liberating
because the change control process is preventing product managers from
throwing in things at the last moment and this often derails the project
just as much as if requirements were missed.

I've always held the contention that the reason IT requirements are so
hard to pin down and frequently change is because software is so
intangible, compared to building a sofa or car.  If you build a
prototype sofa, the product guys can sit on it before you ship it to the
factory for production.  Sadly, it doesn't seem to work exactly the same
way in IT.

But, I can say that the most successful projects I have worked on have
an actual working prototype as the first deliverable.  This is often a
separate contract.  We show it to the business types and *then* write a
second contract to build out the first release.  Not XP by any means,
but my company doesn't like the word 'extreme' unless it's used in the
sentence like, 'We are extremely happy with our annual return.' :)

I'll check out the glib.com items.  For some XP projects, we use eXtreme
Planner - not open source, but runs on open source infrastructure
[MySQL, tomcat].

Also, I didn't go into it the other night as it was slightly off-topic.
My 'Project Management Professional' PMP certification is from the
Project Management Institute [http://www.pmi.org/].  They have an active
Mile High Chapter at http://www.pmimilehi.org/.  The Mile High chapter
has a lot of training sessions and some other interesting
opportunities.  Anyone can join either PMI and/or PMI Mile High without
being a PMP.

Jeff