[clue-talk] Re: Bible Academia

Tue Oct 2 06:43:12 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 00:15 -0600, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> David,

> Now I get to take you on ;-)

Good to have you.  <straps on gloves>  :-)

> On Oct 1, 2007, at 9:14 PM, David L. Willson wrote:
>
> > Jesus preaches forgiveness.  Forgiveness is good.  Punishment is
> > also
> > good.  Without punishment, few people learn.  Even my infinitely
> > sweet
> > children do not learn without an occasional barking at.  Punishment
> > ~and~ forgiveness, now that's a powerful combo.  BTW, do you have a
> > reference for the recommendation to stone adulteresses?  I'd like to
> > read it for context.  I'm sure it's there, I just wonder how much of
> > the
> > driving on that code was God and how much was Man.

> The interesting question is: Was Jesus Liberal of Conservative? Love
> or Judgement? He was both, depending on the person he was talking or
> dealing with.

> See Leviticus 20:10 and I quote: If {there is} a man who commits
> adultery with another man's wife, one who commits adultery with his
> friend's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress (my emphasis added)
> shall surely be put to death."
> When you read John 8:1-11, you see the Jews ONLY bringing the woman,
> where's the man here? It takes two to tango, unless it is rape.

If conservatism is using the law to degrade or destroy people, or
liberalism means letting people do away the law or pervert it, then he
was neither.

If conservatism is upholding the law, and liberalism is upholding
people, then Jesus was both liberal and conservative.

How does the story of the Adulteress end?  "Go, and sin no more."

When I was in my twenties, living in Rochester, NY, there was a
memorable commercial for an attorney, which began "Somewhere in all
these dusty lawbooks, a great idea got lost, the idea that the law is
for people..."