[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 17:40:25 MDT 2007

On 09-21 18:31, Collins Richey wrote:

> I cannot vote for a Democrat. The party that supports and draws funds
> from an organization like moveon.org is not qualified for office, IMO.
> The fact that none of the leading Democratic candidates have chastised
> moveon.org for labeling our military commander in Iraq a traitor means
> that they are just playing politics with the lives of our soldiers.

I'm curious - how is moveon.org worse than lying our way into war? Who is
really playing politics with lives of soldiers - a group who criticizes how
a war is run, or the group that put the soldiers in harm's way for a lie?
Well, many lies, but who's counting?

In my opinion, if anything, the Democrats are losers because they more or
less got a mandate last election to start investigations for impeachment,
and impeachment was "taken off the table" the minute they were sworn in.
WTF?  THAT'S an opposition party? The party as a whole needs a spinal
transplant.

And if Hillary or Obama are what the Democrats are putting up for election
in 2008, I might not vote at all. I'm beginning to understand why my parents
haven't voted in years. It mostly seems to be a puppet show put on for the
masses. I was entertaining notions of voting Democratic to try to get the
current band of sociopaths the hell out, but if they are going to provide
that sort of "opposition", why bother?

The only candidates that I've heard say anything approaching sanity are not
going to be electable, because the media has already largely dismissed them.
One is Kucinich, and the other is Ron Paul.

Sigh. I guess 2008 will again be an election about "family values", or
prayer in schools, or flag-burning, or gay marriage, or other largely
unimportant wedge issues. Extra points if it can involve unverifiable
metaphysical belief systems. Ever notice that things that *really* affect
Americans on an everyday, large scale fashion are never what an election is
"about", at least as the corporate media tells us it's "about"? As long as
we're off in the weeds arguing over stupid issues like when a fetus is a
child or if we should see two men kissing, we will have stuff like
NAFTA/CAFTA rammed through without any public discussion at all.

What constituents besides the ones on K street asked for something like
NAFTA/CAFTA? NAFTA passed under Clinton. CAFTA under Bush. Can we really say
these two are really that different? Both of those look like neoliberal
policies to me.

Anyway, this isn't aimed at you so much, Collins, I'm just faintly amused at
all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over an activist group like moveon.org
from the right-wing noise machine, while the conservative activist groups
(that if I remember correctly ) outspend liberal activist
groups 4 to 1....and yet seem to somehow remain almost invisible, at least
when it comes to the talking points. They also seem to have some very odd
ties, like the Moonies for one.

> My favorites at this point are Romney and Giuliani. I could vote for
> either, and I believe that either would make an excellent President.
> Romney would be particularly good. It would be nice to have a leader
> who is a solid family man and who doesn't fool around on the job.

I don't think if the rubber meets the road that Romney will get on
Republican ticket in any case...too many evangelicals start getting their
back up over Mormons, and when it comes down to brass tacks, there will be
too much friction over non-verifiable metaphysical belief systems, even if
the Mormons as a group are the Republican's best friends (at least when it
comes to voting). Just like Republicans will take Mooney money, they
probably wouldn't put one up for election - they'll take Mormon votes, but I
doubt they really want one in the White house.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Writing is the only socially accpetable form of schizophrenia.
-E. L. Doctorow