[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Thu Sep 27 21:08:22 MDT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> It may work for some folks in their personal lives (apparently for
> you), and
> that's great if you think it makes your life better, but I think
> it's a
> terrible idea to use it as a literal guide for American leadership,
> either
> foreign policy or domestic. In the past, we've had people not plant
> crops
> because they thought the Bible said the end times were coming - I
> don't want
> the modern equivalent in foreign or domestic policy to happen.

Oh, I agree that some have "not done" this or that because they think
the End Times will come tomorrow. I think this is stupid as well.
However, from my perspective, things are looking too close to the
real thing to ignore.

> That's been predicted numerous times in the past, and those dates have
> already rolled by, so I think I'll disregard future claims, too:
>
> http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm
>
> I think there is also a book dealing with this, but can't remember the
> title.

I'm not predicting the date/time, but I consider it like looking to
the west and seeing dark clouds brewing. There is a huge difference
between naming the exact time the storm will hit  and batting down
the windows because the storm is coming, I'm for the later. A BIG
storm is coming and people should be prepared. One of my best friends
pass away from a massive heat attack in April, he never knew what hit
him, neither did we, hence: a storm is coming and we don't know when
it will hit.

> And as for Pascal's Wager---
>
> I no longer consider myself an atheist these
> days, but that argument always made me chuckle. It falls down for
> two good
> reasons:
>
> 1. Which theist sect do you pick? Assuming for the sake of argument
> that
> Christianity is the "right" one, that narrows it down - a little
> bit. I
> can't find a cite right now, but there are 20K-30K sects of it,
> IIRC. If
> true, then, at best, your chances are 1 in 20,000.

The point being with this is: people are betting their life on their
beliefs, are they sure they know what is right, if there is a heaven,
that they know the way? Yes, there are a number of religions in the
world, but when it comes to heaven most religion "cannot guarantee"
that you'll get there, if there is one in that religion. The Bible is
100% truthful (although it does not contain 100% Truth), it states
"if you believe, you'll go to heaven" and backs it up. From my
perspective, if there is a heaven, I want to make sure I am going.
Agreeably man adds to and takes away what God states via their own
versions of things, but there is Truth available to know. See below
for further discussion.

> 2. If God knows your thoughts, he would know what a cynical choice
> that was,
> just to save your rear end. Was it a genuine choice, or just fear of
> punishment? I think an omniscient God would know, and wouldn't let
> you into
> Heaven.

Yes God does know our thoughts and he's not cruel to those that care
enough to want to know Him, but the fear that is sometimes is
expected is real, but it's to make us think: is there a heaven and am
I going?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kevin