[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Sat Sep 29 12:04:40 MDT 2007

Dennis and Michael,

On Sep 29, 2007, at 8:15 AM, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> One person doesn't believe in God but lives a good life and is
> generous,
> honest and helpful, Another person believes in God but is a cheat
> and a
> thief, lies to people, maybe even kills someone.  Which goes to
> heaven?
> If it is the second man, this God does not seem very just or worth
> following. Yet this is exactly what some people believe and how some
> people live.

So here's where there are some issues that need to be determined.

First issue: is there a heaven?

Second issue: how do I get there?

Third  issue: if there is a heaven, then what?

With the first issue, Michael states "I am choosing to spend my time
living this life. If there's an afterlife, then it'll be a surprise.
If there is, I'll join the 99.999% of all human beings who have ever
lived that chose the wrong religion to get into heaven. I don't agree
with the "we will pay for our beliefs" bit. If the atheists are
right, there'll be nothing to pay. Once a person dies, they are dead,
that's it."

Michael, you just stated that you don't agree that "we pay for our
beliefs" and in the previous sentence you said "then it'll be a
surprise," do you see your disconnect here? Everyone has to face
their mortality, so you do pay for your beliefs if you are wrong in
them, just as I do. If the atheists are right, even though I believe
in God, and to a greater degree Jesus Christ's way of getting into
heaven, we both win if the atheists are right, there are no losers.
BUT, and this is a big BUT, what if what if the Bible states is right
and there is a heaven, then the atheist loses!!! That's why some
Christians become so emphatic, we don't want anyone to be losers, but
some of us go overboard and verbally "put a gun to your head" so that
we convict you and that's where we go wrong, and we do. A Christian's
purpose is to express and explain the Bible so that you understand,
then let God the Holy Spirit convict you of the truthfulness of the
words. Now, whether you take the next step and believe is now up to
you, we've done what we're suppose to do, explain until you
understand, but then let you or anyone else decide, not push you into
it.

In the "how do I get to heaven" question, all religions say there is
a heaven but are not definitive as to how to get there and do not
guarantee that you'll get there, sort of "you MIGHT get there"
attitude. There are also differing religious requirements as you have
to DO something here on earth in order to get into heaven.
Christianity, specifically the Bible states this, is the ONLY
religion that guarantees getting into heaven, but even some
Christians don't believe this either. But, you do not have to do
ANYTHING here on earth to get into heaven, only have a trust in
someone else doing something FOR you. The Jewish religion is based on
a similar approach, we've sinned, we need to be forgiven. All others
you have to "make up your errors," in Christianity, Jesus took care
of this part, now it's on to the next  part.

Dennis, based on the above comments most  Christians do NOT know of
their rewards, or lack of them based on their works, after they've
achieved the "getting into heaven" part of becoming a Christian.
Getting into heaven is guaranteed and eternal by the Bible, but AFTER
you believe your rewards are still up for grabs. Too often some
Christians believe that "now that I'm in, I can get away with murder"
which technically is true, but God knows each and everyone of us and
will exact the correct penalty for our sins, even after getting our
"get into heaven" card at the moment of salvation. As you stated
above "If it is the second man, this God does not seem very just or
worth following. Yet, this is exactly what some people believe and
how some people live." Oh, God is just, you just may not see it from
your own eyes. This is where the rewards come into play and which
most Christians are in denial, which you've alluded to in your
comment. Even God states in the Bible "some will come in My Name" but
will be rejected by Him. Bottom line: whether Christian or not, we'll
all get what is coming to us, so is each of us ready for our own
mortality?

Kevin