[clue-talk] abolish abortion in america

Thu May 29 20:51:44 MDT 2008

> As regards number 1, this is not a criteria for me in choosing a
> President. I abhor abortion, but I do not want my government involved
> pro or con. As a person who cannot become pregnant, I have no right to
> tell a woman what she should do or not do when pregnant. For me, the
> right of a woman to control her own body is absolute. Education is the
> answer.

Since you believe society should have no law regarding this, I'll ask you to answer
those four questions Michael left on the table.

1.  I suppose the fetus is a human child, distinct from his or her mother, but wholly
enclosed within her body.  Do you suppose that he or she is part of his or her mother's
body?  If so, why?

2.  I suppose the mother's rights and the unborn's rights should be equal.  Do you
suppose that the unborn's right to life should be subordinate to his or her mother's
right to privacy?  If so, why?

3.  What sort of education and prevention programs would have appealed to plantation
owners, do you think?  Faced with the loss of their family fortunes, and in many cases,
realistic fears about basic financial stability, what do you think would have convinced
them that infringing on the rights of another is not an acceptable cost to insure their
own security?  How might we have averted the civil war, and still achieved abolition,
through education and programs?

4 (or maybe 3b).  Do you suppose that I lack objectivity when I compare human abortion
with human slavery?  If so, why?

5.  I'll ask an additional question, for those of the male persuasion, and of the
opinion that they can't have an opinion on a "pregnancy" issue.  If someday, you became
completely and utterly, but temporarily, dependent on your parents, should they have the
right to choose to do away with you, or have you done away with, quietly?  Moreover,
should your society tell them that they have no right to do so?

I propose that the most horrible "choice" to hand a young woman or young man, who has
just had their life-plans threatened by an unintended pregnancy is that of choosing a
convenient and private "doing away with" the new life.  Many more lives have been
destroyed by abortion than by unplanned birth.

(I'm taking the liberty of changing the subject-line, since in the current conversation,
the old subject might be interpreted as misogyny, rather than tongue-in-cheek humor.)

-- David
abolish abortion