[clue-talk] Obama, McCain, and the American flag

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Nov 2 01:45:24 MST 2008

On Nov 2, 2008, at 12:08 AM, David L. Willson wrote:

>> Obama never said anything against the American flag, and he's not
>> friends with a terrorist.
>
> He held a celebration party for his election to the Illinois State
> Senate in William Ayer's living room.  I don't know about you, but I
> wouldn't be anywhere near a guy's house who bombed Americans and says
> he wishes he'd bombed more.  And maybe I don't know how State Senate
> parties go, but I'm pretty sure you don't hold them in non-friend's
> houses.
>
> Nate, you know more than I do on this point.  Care to provide links?

With only a quick Google search (in hopes of finding a relatively
factual site that just summarizes it, since it's a lot of articles to
post to show the complete story), this one seems like it's certainly a
"right wing" site I've never heard of, but seems to stick to the facts
in the article:

<http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/08/12/the-obama-ayers-top-ten-highlights-of-the-20-year-obama-ayers-connection/

And since I know we all generally approve of FactCheck.org here
amongst intelligent discussion on the topic, here's their take:

<http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/he_lied_about_bill_ayers.html>

To find out who Ayers is, or the bombing incidents, you'd have to
Google and read about the group Weather Underground -- being that it's
only a couple of days to the election, you'll probably stumble across
some outrageous websites that are anti-Obama in that process.

I'm not crazy enough to think that Obama and Ayers are good friends or
anything, but Obama has certainly been associated with Ayers since
before and after he bombed people.  If all you take to your grave is
your reputation, and your reputation is based at least in part on the
company you keep -- well, I wouldn't have been hanging around with the
guy.  I know that.

FactCheck's conclusion is carefully worded and pretty good at
explaining why some will see it as nothing and others see it as a
serious character flaw in Senator Obama.

"Voters may differ in how they see Ayers, or how they see Obama’s
interactions with him. We’re making no judgment calls on those
matters. What we object to are the McCain-Palin campaign’s attempts to
sway voters – in ads and on the stump – with false and misleading
statements about the relationship, which was never very close. Obama
never “lied” about this, just as he never bragged about it. The
foundation they both worked with was hardly “radical.” And Ayers is
more than a former "terrorist," he’s also a well-known figure in the
field of education. "

I for one have no tolerance for people who bomb other people in their
own country.  That's Mr. Ayers.

Ayers also dedicated his book "Prairie Fire: The Politics of
Revolutionary Anti-Imperialism" to Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of
Robert Kennedy.

The dedication came from the book linked here:
<http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/31776_LGF_Exclusive-_Bill_Ayers_Prairie_Fire_in_PDF_Form

"According to Sirhan's Mother, Mary Sirhan, he killed Kennedy because
of his Arab nationalism. She said, "What he did, he did for his
country." Further, Sirhan believed he was deliberately betrayed by
Kennedy's support for Israel in the June 1967 Six-Day War,[11] which
had begun exactly one year before the assassination."  (From Wikipedia)

Ironic that Ayers dedicated his book to the assassin of one of the
Democratic Party's shining starts, isn't it?  Very odd that Obama
isn't more up to speed on this guy throughout their two decade loose
relationship?  I don't think Obama's that stupid.  He knows he has to
play dumb about his relationship with Ayers, even if it's a very loose
relationship, because the guy is a complete nut-job who blows up stuff
to make his points.

A vote for Obama would mean that the next President of the United
States has ties, even if they're loose, to the man who wrote that
document above.  No thanks.  I'd like to be able to say I didn't vote
for anyone who spent any considerable amount of time with a man like
Ayers, personally.  People can choose what they want... but I won't
vote that way.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com