[clue-talk] Obama, McCain, and the American flag

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 12:23:21 MST 2008

At no point did I say I condoned Ayers' action, but I'm also not so naive to believe that had the revolutionaries lost that the British would have patted them on the back, but instead would have rounded them all up, put them to trial, find them guilty of treason against the crown, and executed the lot of them.  Keep in mind not everyone believed in the revolutionaries' cause.  It was not some unanimous decision among all the citizens of the commonwealth.  There were sympathizers on both sides.

Ayers did what he believed was the right course of action for the time.  Do we, decades later, think those actions were warranted?  Not so much.  I will fault him for his methods, but I will not fault him for fighting and standing up for his beliefs.  Much like him I have no support for the Iraq war whatsoever, and even the Afghan one I have little support, but I'm not about to go bombing people to show my disdain.  (It would've been so much easier, cheaper, and less costly in lives to put out a trillion dollar bounty on Bin Laden and be done with it; payable in one lump sum or in lifetime payments.)  If Ayers continues to think he was in the right, he's more than welcome to.  It's his prerogative to do so.  We're not the thought police.  However, since those days he's gone on record to condemn terrorism, particular 9/11.  Having been a former terrorist, he would certainly have a unique take.

And of course you're quoting what the reporter put in the interview.  Unfortunately, there's no recording of said interview so there's no way to corroborate either side's take.  Somehow "We didn't do enough" became "I wish I had bombed more".  Ayers claims to be misquoted, the reporter stands by the interview.

I think much of the objections to Ayers certainly stem from the bombings, but also from the fact that he got away with it because the prosecution and police failed to do its job.  There's no justice in that.  Because of that, people still want to hold Ayers responsible for his actions and writings over 40 years ago, irrespective of any positive influence he may have had since.

I agree with McCain on this one, "I don’t care about an old washed-up terrorist".  However, if you want to continue on this McCarthy-like guilt-by-association track of connecting Ayers and Rev. Wright and then saying because of that Obama thinks like they do, be my guest.  McCain's got Keating, Hagee, Liddy, and of course, George W. Bush.  Palin has the Alaska Independence Party and her own church.