[clue-talk] Free as in Whiskey?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Sep 12 18:24:50 MDT 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:33:04 -0600
David Rudder wrote:

> It costs $1050/year to get a distiller's license in Colorado.
> The equipment, assuming we're using the pot stilling method, would come
> to another $500
> Supplies would be another $200 or so
> We'd need a place where they don't mind it smelling like rotting corn

Well, no comment on getting a license.

As for rotting corn, why not do a barley mash? For a first attempt, even
use barley extract, available from any home-brew store. Do a double
ferment, the first time with maybe a strong ale yeast, and then with
champagne yeast. I don't know if there are any strains of yeast that can
withstand a stronger alcohol level than champagne yeast.

While I understand some of the tradeoffs involved between using a pot vs.
reflux still, if cost is your main objection to using a reflux still, a
bit of ingenuity can still get you one for not a huge pile of money. I've
heard of people using marbles for packing, for example. I would hope you
have some sort of wooden vessel appropriate for aging. I guess the small
volumes involved in home distillation make using an old wine cask
impractical. I'm unsure of what would make a good substitute, though I've
heard of people simply putting oak chips in glass jars.

I might be interested in playing around with this, but I can't throw any
money at it. I am, however, plenty skilled at soldering copper pipe. I
also lack transportation, except for my bike.

jed