[clue-talk] Favorite Internet Radio?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Jan 19 16:53:30 MST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:22:47 -0700
Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> > Up now on Boot Liquor -- Slobberbone. Pretty good stuff.
>
> Some years ago, I would have never really considered country music as
> something I'd listen to. For me, listening to the Eagles was pushing
> it. :) But now I listen to some alt-country (things like Wilco, Uncle
> Tupelo, though I'm still groping around to branch out.), even
> willingly.  And when I hear it elsewhere, I don't automatically reach
> for a barf bag.
>
> I gave that channel a listen for a little bit to check it out. I may
> have to revisit it. I would like to find a good bluegrass channel. If
> you happen to know of one, let me know.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call the Boot Liquor channel "country", at least
not in the sense of contemporary country. Which is why, I suspect, they
desribed it as "roots" -- it's almost like heavy folk. There's lots of
Country I can't stand. But certainly lots I like. Hank Williams Sr.,
Eddie Arnold, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline ... hard to quantify exactly what
seperates them and others like them from the rest, except that they sound
more genuine, and no so popish. And sometimes a particular artist whom I
otherwise wouldn't care for does something I really like. For example, I
think it was Reba McEntyre whom I heard doing a really great blues thing.

On Boot Liquor, while was listening, both George Thorogood and The Kinks
came up. Didn't surprise me at all to hear George doing whatever tune it
was, but the Kinks thing did.

I generally like Bluegrass, but usually only in small doses.

I haven't looked for Bluegrass yet. Oh, and you mentioned shoutcast
earlier -- that's a lot of channels to sort through. Which is why I was
hoping some folks would point out some good channels.

> I would also add this link I found when trying to figure out how to
> scrobble my tracks from an Internet station. You may not care at all
> about the scrobbling part (I'm nearly 100% you won't, in fact), but you
> may care about the time-shifting aspect. Pretty sweet. The downside is
> you must start streamripper and give it enough lead time to fetch a few
> tracks.

I like scrambled eggs, don't about scrobbled tunes.

I've used streamripper. And generally, the notion of caching about a half
hour or so of audio sounds cool (if that's what you're speaking of) if
it's then possible to somehow tag the current (time-shifted) track for
saving.

jed