[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Sat Jan 31 17:41:34 MST 2009

Collins Richey wrote:
> If you believe this porkapalooza will help our economy, hit the big X
> button now.

If you have to warn people that they won't like your email, you should
probably reconsider sending it.

> Otherwise you may find this bit of satire from Mark Steyn moderately
> humorous (tragic?).
>
> http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ODljYzM3YTc0ODA4MmVmMjI2YzVmNGM3NWU3ODE2NWI=

National Review, huh?  Aren't these the people that got us into this
mess in the first place?  A magazine staff who's whole approach to
economics is "cut taxes for the rich" doesn't have the right to act like
an expert on the economy.

> My favorite excerpt:
>
> "Stimulus" comes from the verb stimulare, which is Latin for "transfer
> massive sums of money from what remains of the dynamic sector of the
> economy to the special interests of the Democratic party." No, hang
> on, my mistake. Stimulare means "to goad." And, on that front, the
> Democrats are doing an excellent job. They've managed to goad 58
> percent of the American people into opposing the "stimulus" package.

Polls.  Funny how they're easy to quote, but so difficult to cite?
Here's how it's done.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/01/09/gallup_majority_of_americans_b.html
53% favor the bill.  The only demographic against is are far-right
Republicans.  The same people who would rather the country fail than see
a Democrat succeed.

> They've managed to goad all 177 Republicans in the House into
> unpacking their mothballed cojones and voting against the bill.

177 of the same people who got us into this mess.  Their answer?  More
tax cuts!  How much will it cost?  Well, they don't know.  And, how
exactly will further taxes help anything?  They won't say.

The right wing's only answer is to make juvenile comparisons between the
word "stimulus" and "syphilis".  And to further piss and moan about
people voting against them.

Feh.  Save us all the drivel and go hide under your rock until 1012.

-Dave