[clue-talk] little survey

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 09:51:17 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Silas Martinez" <silasm at gmail.com>
To: "CLUE talk" <clue-talk at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:28:31 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [clue-talk] little survey

Hmm..

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:41 AM, < dennisjperkins at comcast.net > wrote:

I have a little informal survey about the Linux preferences of CLUE members.

1. Which distro do you use?

CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris (last two not linux, but perhaps relevant to this?)

Sure. I didn't think of the others.

7. Do you build your own Linux? (Yes, a few of us are masochistic enough to do so! :) )

Does Gentoo count? Other than that, no, not really. I'm too much a fan of cohesive packaging systems.

I was just wondering how many like building everything themselves. Altho Gentoo comes close.

8. How experienced are you with Linux?

Perhaps 11-12 years? My first experience installing linux was shortly after my first experience installing windows 95 - 95 wasn't brand new at that point, but it was before windows 98. I had a bit of FreeBSD experience before then (I want to say it was concurrent with windows 3.1(1) ).
I think I started in 93. I got a complimentary copy of the second copy of Linux Journal and it intrigued me.