[clue-talk] Kindle 2

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Mar 13 18:05:30 MDT 2009

Cool article.  Thanks!

I honestly do think that the paper newspaper is "on the way out" at least
here in the U.S. - but I also think that's kinda sad.  Personally I wish the
Rocky Mtn News had beat the Denver Post, if only for nothing but HISTORICAL
reasons, since I've held Volume 1, Edition 1 of the RMN in my own two hands.
but, oh well.  (It's stored in the vault of the Main Denver Public Library,
along with other interesting things like the beaded/sequined playbill covers
once used/owned by Baby Doe Tabor, etc.  Those are fascinating also.
Denver's "night life" back then consisted of plays by real actors and
actresses on stages, of course.  No movie theatres back then.)

I don't know if "just anyone" can see it, but I had special access through a
Librarian who was also the instructor of a college-level Colorado History
course - which was by far one of the most interesting courses I took outside
of my chosen degree field.  Never finished the degree, but I'll never forget
that class or that instructor!  A class "field trip" to the Library seemed
goofy, until we got to see what she brought out of the vault!  Wow.

The original copy of the RMN was in "troubled" shape back then, to my
untrained eyes anyway, in probably 1995 or so?  (Ahh, when was that class.)
It was encased in plastic, and little bits of the quite-brittle butcher
paper - there's a history story behind the butcher paper, BTW! - it was
printed on, were flaking off.  I was in shock that we were even allowed to
pick it up and handle it.  And I feel honored to have been allowed to do so.

Seems more interesting now that they're "gone", I guess.

I always liked the "tabloid style" paper - seemed easier to transport and
read to me than a "traditional" folded newspaper like the Post.

Now that I think about it, I also delivered the things as a young teenager,
but that job didn't last long.  I wasn't a morning person back then, either.
(Wasn't fired. just found it wasn't worth it.)

Nate