[clue-talk] Kindle 2

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Mar 13 18:11:18 MDT 2009

Hey, a question came to mind.

Do you have to read the NYT's advertisements on the Kindle?  That seems
CRITICAL to the analysis, and they didn't include that in the article.

Costs mean NOTHING without knowing what they're bringing in in subscriptions
and advertising revenue. (Or in the case of newspapers these days, how much
money they're losing on slack ad revenue numbers, perhaps.)  Gotta look at
the whole balance sheet.

These guys pulled a little "sleight of financial hand" on this one,
methinks.

If the ad revenue is "lost" on the Kindle platform -- take however many
subscribers they have, and whatever their server farm for the Kindle readers
costs them to operate -- and you'll have the "real" price of what a
subscription *should* be.

Paper with solid ad revenue in a format where it's a little more easily
ignored but still "there" might be a heck of a lot cheaper than no ad
revenue and the convenience of carrying around a device with it loaded up
anytime you want to read it.

Nate