[clue-talk] VPS renewal challenged by ZNZ

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Thu Dec 23 12:11:02 MST 2010

----- YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote: -----

> Now that there are emerging alternatives to renewing VPS for 12 months
> I feel sure that VPS will be quickly renewed for 12 months....
>
> I am asking the question ; whether VPS can be renewed for 1 month or 3
> months......
> Or just chuck VPS and go with my simple email and website proposal
> Which can be replaced by Drupal at any moment. ( Cost in dollars ....
> znz [zero-nada-zilch] )

Questions then on this proposal:
- Where is this server physically located?
- What is the power setup?
- What is the bandwidth setup?
- What is the disaster recovery setup?
- What is the actual uptime percentage?
- Will this be a separate container server or shared system with others?
- What type of physical and remote access is there to this server?
- What is the physical makeup of this server?

> So I am betting that VPS will quickly be renewed and many entities
> will hope that
> the alternatives will fade away ...... I invite anyone who feels
> burned out to
> pass the torch or drop the torch on the ground and let someone else
> pick it up.
> I am betting that no torch relinquishing will occur. This means it
> must still
> be fun to hang on to the torch.

Well I am personally not burnt out being one of the CLUE server admins.  I just rather not see things regress to relying on donated hardware that may or may not work for a few months later on a patched up system that is being "garage hosted" with no guarantee of stability.

FWIW.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court