[clue-talk] VPS renewal challenged by ZNZ

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Thu Dec 23 21:59:45 MST 2010

> On Dec 23, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Crawford Rainwater wrote:
>
> ----- YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote: -----
>>
>> Now that there are emerging alternatives to renewing VPS for 12 months
>> I feel sure that VPS will be quickly renewed for 12 months....
>>
>> I am asking the question ; whether VPS can be renewed for 1 month or 3
>> months......
>> Or just chuck VPS and go with my simple email and website proposal
>> Which can be replaced by Drupal at any moment. ( Cost in dollars ....
>> znz [zero-nada-zilch] )

Questions then on this proposal:
- Where is this server physically located?   In the ixwebhosting cloud   http://www.ixwebhosting.com/
- What is the power setup?       ixwebhosting takes care of that
- What is the bandwidth setup?    More than CLUE will ever use
- What is the disaster recovery setup?    backup the CLUE website ( offsite from ixwebhosting )
- What is the actual uptime percentage?   Don't know  but I have had no complaints
- Will this be a separate container server or shared system with others?   No it is not a VPS
- What type of physical and remote access is there to this server?    Remote access for anyone who wants it    no physical access
- What is the physical makeup of this server?   Don't know .. don't care

What are the answers to the above questions for the existing ( 2010 ) hosting ?

>> So I am betting that VPS will quickly be renewed and many entities
>> will hope that
>> the alternatives will fade away ...... I invite anyone who feels
>> burned out to
>> pass the torch or drop the torch on the ground and let someone else
>> pick it up.
>> I am betting that no torch relinquishing will occur. This means it
>> must still
>> be fun to hang on to the torch.
>>

> Well I am personally not burnt out being one of the CLUE server admins.  I just rather not see things regress to relying on donated hardware that may or may not work for a few months later on a patched up system that is being "garage hosted" with no guarantee of stability.

Neither Crawford or Jed Baer appear to be burned out.  They do want to spend $210 of CLUE money  versus ZNZ.  Crawford and Jed appear to care very much about how CLUE hosting is implemented.  Will Crawford and Jed commit to another year ( 2011 ) of being responsible ?