[clue-talk] best/worst/most interesting distro?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 20:07:15 MDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Greg Knaddison
<Greg at growingventuresolutions.com> wrote:
> /me responds to say he uses Ubuntu and loves it.
>
> I think the reason the Ubuntu crowd is quiet is that the thread is
> about "best/worst/most interesting" and I think most Ubuntu people
> feel like "It just works. I'm not really proud I run it, but I feel I
> am more productive when I run it."

I've used ubuntu. Besides the fact that I prefer KDE, and the ubuntu
mainstream only grudgingly supports kde, there are a few other reasons
I don't run it anymore. Nevertheless, It's certainly a good choice for
the refugees from Windows, and they have done a lot of work to make it
more appetizing to such refugees.

1. After participating in several test cycles, I got really tired of
the throw-every-imaginable-package-that
hasn't-been-tested-into-a-pot-and-stir-hoping-that-it will-run
approach.

2. Ubuntu gives far too little back to the Debian project that does a
great deal of the grunt work. Of course, there are numerous distros
thriving on the grunt work provided by RedHat.

3. All in all, I prefer my Deian unadulterated.

> <snark class="in_response_to_the_anti_forum_thread">If only there were
> a way to vote and aggregate our information on distro usage without
> having to have everyone send an e-mail to the whole list. Like, a
> profile field on a website account or a "poll" or "survey" that we ran
> on a website. I guess there are some things where e-mail is not the
> best medium.</snark>

<snigger>
At least your <snark> is on the list blessed by the management! I
don't usually notice which list I am replying to.
</snigger>

Yes, polling would be a lot simpler if there were some sort of a
forum. Alas, the proposed project to review the website/lists/whatever
seems to have died away.

--
Collins Richey