[clue-tech] problem installing the Mozilla font set

matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Thu Aug 31 10:35:22 MDT 2000

Just got mozilla-fonts.tar.gz.

unzipped/untarred it,
did make pcf,
did make install,
and did xset fp+ /usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla:unscaled.

On the xset, the following error came up:

xset:  bad font path element (#42), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

I checked that the /usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla existed, and it did.
The permissions on /usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla were drwxr-xr-x for me
(non-root).

/usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla did not have the fonts.dir file from the
Mozilla-fonts directory so I copied it over and tried the xset again, but
got the same error.

So now I suspect that the problem must be, "Incorrect font server address or
syntax", but I don't know what to do about that.  I'm Running RH6.1.  Can
anyone help?