[clue-tech] problem installing the Mozilla font set

Jeremiah Stanley jstanley at us.pason.com
Thu Aug 31 11:13:51 MDT 2000

> unzipped/untarred it,
> did make pcf,
> did make install,
> and did xset fp+ /usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla:unscaled.

Okay, here's the problem. You XFS (X Font Server) isn't being found. This
isn't a problem. Just append it by hand and HUP XFS.

The config file for XFS is /etc/X11/fs/config and you want to append the
line:

/usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla:unscaled

to the end of the catalogue part of the config. Don't forget to put a
comma after the one right before it.

Now HUP XFS with the command:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart; /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs status

This should do what you want to do.

> I checked that the /usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla existed, and it did.
> The permissions on /usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla were drwxr-xr-x for me
> (non-root).

Good place to start, I don't trust some documentation from Mozilla though.

> /usr/local/lib/fonts/Mozilla did not have the fonts.dir file from the
> Mozilla-fonts directory so I copied it over and tried the xset again, but
> got the same error.

You may need to get rid of that, I don't know for sure what it does.

> So now I suspect that the problem must be, "Incorrect font server address or
> syntax", but I don't know what to do about that.  I'm Running RH6.1.  Can
> anyone help?

It may be one of the environment variables set for you system or xset
wants to talk to it over the loopback and just isn't finding it.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you! Cheers!

Jeremiah Stanley - Pason USA (jstanley at us.pason.com)