[CLUE-Tech] debian bootdisks

John Kottal jlkottal at americanisp.net
Fri Nov 17 07:26:32 MST 2000

Randolph Cordell wrote:

> Are you upgrading from a CD?

I had installed from a Debian 2.1 CD and was using apt-get dist-upgrade over the
net to do the upgrade to distro 2.2.

What happened is that, after the upgrade packages downloaded, and at the end of
their installation script, the upgrade was failing with the error messages I
listed.

Since then, I have been able (with the help of several people) to solve the
problem. The error arose as the system tried to update cron, and could not lock
it. Since cron and mailx and elm-me+ and the other files are all dependent upon
each other, when cron could not be updated, the updates for the others failed
too.

So I went into single user level and ran the script, it worked, apparently
because it could get to cron and lock it (or, more likely, cron was not running
in level 1). Once cron was upgraded, then the others followed.

Once this was finished, I then upgraded the kernel, and now have a fully
functioning 2.2 distro.

Thanx for your help. My next project may be to try an over-the-Internet
installation using the boot floppies. But since the apt-get dist-upgrade took
about an hour over my DSL line, I wonder how long an installation would take?

John Kottal