[CLUE-Tech] Advice sought: should I use SSH or not?

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Wed Apr 18 12:30:23 MDT 2001

Brandon N wrote:

> You can do a lot more than just telnet connections with ssh, you can
> use it to set up a VPN, pierce firewalls, encrypt X windows traffic,
> basically because ssh can do port forwarding, any simple TCP/IP traffic
> can be encrypted.

I've noticed that when making ssh connections my DISPLAY variable gets
set to something like :10 on the remote machine, but when I kick off
an X application, it displays locally on :0.  Is this port forwarding
or something different?  Any X clients kicked off this way will be
encrypted through ssh, yes?

Lynn Danielson