[CLUE-Tech] ISP Bandwidth Brokering

Ed Young ejy at SummitBid.com
Sat Aug 18 16:08:55 MDT 2001

Brandon N wrote:

> I doubt the ISP's would be able to do that, it's more a question of the
> server speed on the other end, and the protocol overhead.
>
> you can easily tell what protocol netscape is using, does the URL start
> with ftp:// or http://

It's ftp and after I sent the posting I couldsee that easily. (*DUH* I said
to myself)
So in each case it's using ftp, so the  same protocol is in use which
eliminates the overhead differences.

But what do you mean by serverspeed on the other end. Since in each case
the files are being served from the same machine and from thesame directory
on the same filesystem.

> Keep in mind, if it says ftp, then it's passive mode ftp, slightly
> different from how ncftp does it.

Hmmm. What's the diffeerence and will that make he huge difference I'm
seeing?