[CLUE-Tech] DSL Recommendations

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Mon Dec 3 13:40:24 MST 2001

I am very happy with my qwest dsl.

2 & 3.  They sometimes mean modems, and other times routers.  Qwest offers
two options:  Internal or External.  The Internal modems are in fact modems,
Intel PRO/DSL100's, and DO NOT WORK WITH LINUX.  Google for "PRO/DSL Linux
driver" and you will find countless questions with no answers.  The final
answer came from Alan Cox himself, saying that Intel tells him they are not
willing to release the hardware specs nor are they willing to develop their
own linux drivers.  The external modem/routers are CISCO 678's, which work
very well so long as you:

disable telnet
disable web
set web port <int > 1025>
setup passwords

This keeps you clear of code red and bored kids playing hacker with cisco
678 routers.

They perform NAT or static routes.  Documentation is available on the web.

With Qwest.net, you normally get a dynamic address that rarely changes (once
every couple of months in my experience), or you can get blocks of 8 (5
usable) static ips for a few dollars more.  This is up to your isp, though.
I can't say anything about alternative isp's.

Hope this helps,

Chris