[CLUE-Tech] X-Sever/KDE "tuning"

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Dec 5 09:22:17 MST 2001

Randy Arabie wrote:

> I like the new KDE "look and feel" however, I'm not at all
> impressed with the performance.  Things load really slow.  I
> launch an application and then sit and wait, watch the
> "spinning disc" icon down on the toolbar, it disappears, then
> I wait a little longer, and then suddenly my application
> appears.  The total time varies, but even a simple x-term
> took 23 seconds to load.

You can try nice'ing X, if your system doesn't already do that.

If you don't mind recompiling qt and kde, you can follow the suggestions
here:

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2001/08/0370.html

and here:

http://www.research.att.com/~leonb/objprelink/howto.html

These make kde noticably faster.  On a Athlon 850 w/ATA100 konqueror
loads faster than Netscape does under Win2k.